Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) has been named to the 2017 Dow Jones Sustainability Indices (DJSI), including both the World and North America indices. This marks the 18th time Caterpillar has been included in the DJSI.
“Sustainability is one of our core values. Our global Caterpillar team strives to integrate sustainability into our work, every day, everywhere we operate. We’re proud of our progress. We also know there’s always more to do,” said Caterpillar CEO Jim Umpleby. “Our customers use our solutions to build a better world, and we continually strive to improve our company through more sustainable and efficient operations.”
Some of the sustainability successes that led to Caterpillar’s inclusion were:
- Continued progress in embedding human rights practices across the value chain.
- Supporting leadership development opportunities for employees to increase diversity.
- Strong process for innovation in the research and development of new and improved products, and an increasing consideration of sustainability impacts throughout the product lifecycle.
- Commitment to communities around the globe, as well as the Caterpillar Foundation’s focus on poverty alleviation, particularly through investments in women and girls.
- Third-party verification of its sustainability reporting around safety and environmental impacts.
- The annual DJSI process follows a best-in-class approach, evaluating numerous corporate economic, environmental and social performance factors.