Arun Dubey (Director GREYWATER) speaks about effective implementation of ‘sewage and wastewater treatment plant’ in Hospitality Industry
In a candid interview with us, Mr.Arun Dubey, Director GREYWATER, establishes profitability of an effective implementation of ‘sewage treatment plants’ for Hospitality industry in India. He continues to talk about GREYWATER’s core competency and also appreciates Green Building Movement in India for its contribution in changing mindsets of decision makers.
- How much of awareness do you see among hoteliers or hotel management to treat sewage? (Any data on sewage generated and real conscious efforts taken by the hospitality industry in India.)
Indian cities produce around 40,000 million Liter of sewage per day. Estimates suggest that around 10% of this sewage is generated from Hotel industry.
Over the last decade the hotel industry in India has seen an unprecedented growth. There are several international brands that have entered India with a vision to establish a considerable footprint. The intense competition has brought out the best in the Industry. An environmentally sustainable hotel is not just a catchy term anymore. For a mid or upper class hotel, establishing responsible practices for water sustainability has a tangible P&L impact. We have seen brands like ITC and Mahindra Holidays pioneer this movement. ITC Maurya is world’s largest hotel to get a LEED platinum certification. Club Mahindra is using our GREWA based systems to recycle and reuse upto 90% of the wastewater generated in their resorts. We have witnessed similar success stories across India and that makes us believe that proper treatment of sewage and reuse of waste water is a strategic priority for all reputed hospitality group.
- Mention status of the current situation in terms of damage being done to the environment around. And what are the government norms to control it? upto what extend are these guidelines followed?
Historical data states that out of the 40,000 Million Liters of sewage generated per day in Indian cities only 20% is being treated, the remaining 80% sewage flows into the natural water bodies such as rivers, lakes and ground water. This poses a severe sanitation threat as well as threat due to contamination of water table with sewage water. The natural flora and fauna of the water bodies gets severely affected due to excess sewage, resulting in ecological degradation.
There are guidelines and enforcement systems in place by government to fight this problem. Government has laid down norms for treatment and reuse of swage in hotel industry. All hotels are required to adhere to a bare minimum treatment and recycle standard to get NOC for operations of Hotels. Local government bodies have also identified environmentally sensitive zones that attract tourists such as Mahabaleshwar and have laid down more stringent norms for Hotels and commercial establishment in these areas. Government has also clearly marked areas in vicinity of rivers called River Restricted Zones, where all Hotels have to adhere to zero discharge norms.
The guidelines are well laid down and in recent years we have witnessed a significant improvement in enforcement for the norms as well. However still there is a lot of betterment required to make sewage treatment and reuse of waste water a ubiquitous practice in Hotel industry.
- Do you see a trend changing?
Yes for sure we see the trend changing. There are several leading indicators of the trend. Such as all reputed hospitality group have environmentally sustainable point as marketing pitch which is valued highly by international client base of hotels etc.
- If yes is it because
- Governing bodies playing a major role in this changing trend.
- Or the hotel groups are now becoming more serious in adhering to the guidelines.
- Or simply because of the long term profitability has been established by educating customers the benefits of sewage treatment or recycling waste water.
- Or there is larger contribution of Green Building movement in India.
I would say that all the above factors have played a significant role in shifting the momentum towards responsible treatment and reuse of sewage water. Green building movements have played a significant role in popularizing environmentally sustainable development. The economics are changing in favor of sustainable practices. For all hotel groups the emphasis is on long term profitability thus recycle and reuse makes sense. The government machinery has also tightened up and is ensuring proper reinforcement of norms. Another significant factor is the availability of better and more efficient technology solutions for treatment and recycle of sewage such as GREYWATER that provide a hassle free and robust solution for Hotel Industry.
- What is GREYWATER’s value proposition in the current scenario for hospitality industry as against competition? is it restricted to India or you are exploring internationally as well.
GREYWATER is a specialized technology company that was established with a vision to change the way the world treats sewage and waste water. Our plug and play GREWA range of STP come equipped with several features that are especially applicable to Hotel industry. For example:
- Ability to Handle Variable Load: Our GREWA range of STP can handle 25% to 110 % of design capacity. This feature is of exceptional utility to Hospitality industry as the occupancy in Hotels varies considerable. The conventional systems cannot handle such variations and thus either perform poorly or shut down altogether.
- Holiday Mode: Our GREWA range of products have a unique feature for extremely low occupancy when our STP automatically senses the minimum load and maintains the quality of sewage until more loads comes in thus preventing sewage from tuning septic. In holiday mode plant will maintain its status quo and will restart automatically when occupancy is increased. This gets rid of all the hassles and cost related to re-commissioning.
- Lowest Operating cost in industry – Our STP products consume 1/3 the electricity and require upto 50% lower maintenance.
- Inclusive Aesthetics – Our GREWA range of STPs are noiseless, odorless and aesthetically designed to blend in with the surroundings. Our clients have installed our products near swimming pool area and next to laws.
Over all we offer the best sewage treatment solution to hospitality industry by addressing to all the challenges they face in their day to day waste water management.
We have a PAN India presence and our products will be available in international markets by end of this financial year.
- Do you face a lot of competition in your segment locally? if yes then How? and does the entire perspective change internationally?
The waste water treatment industry is very fragmented with a few large players and then several local and regional players. Thus there is stiff competition. However currently our products GREWA-R and RS are the most advanced products available in industry and thus we have an edge over other w.r.t superior and reliable products. Internationally the scenario is similar w.r.t competition however the quality expectation of products in international market is superior compared to expectations in India.
- If yes; then does that competition help you in the process of spreading awareness among your potential target audience?
Collectively the waste water treatment industry has done its bit to spread awareness. Also now there are several NGO’s, IGBC and online and offline platform that have done a great job in educating masses on treatment and reuse of wastewater.
- How do you create an edge above other conventional wastewater treatment plants? What are your strengths – marketing plans or technical expertise?
Our core competency is our next generation technology. Our team comprises of best professional from industry with over 108 years of experience in waste water treatment. Our GREWA range of STP products has a distinct edge over conventional technology.
The table below gives a detailed comparison of our GREWA range of STP vs conventional systems.
- Do you wish to state any measurable returns which your existing clients have managed to establish as an ‘ROI’. (Testimony)
Based on the data that we have collected from our plants, Our GREWA range of products are providing recycle ready water at a rate of INR 8 to 10 per 1000 liters to our clients which is way cheaper than tanker water that is priced between INR 200-INR 500 per 1000 L. Our clients have used the treated water for various applications ranging from landscaping, flushing, common area cleaning to HVAC make up.
About GREYWATER – www.greywatertech.com
GREYWATER is a specialized technology company that pioneers the next generation products for sewage, wastewater treatment plant and effluent treatment. Funded by Nexus Venture Partners, GREYWATER’s compact plug-n-play products are being used in Hospitality, Commercial, Hospitals, SEZ, IT parks, Residential and Industrial sectors. The products significantly reduce space footprint by 30 % to 70 % and energy requirements by 40% to 50% compared to conventional plants. These plants are designed and built to handle variable loads and require minimal manual intervention. Greywater’s clients include prestigious corporates such as Mahindra Holidays, Dell India, Unitech, BPCL, Wadhwa Builders, Dahej SEZ, Gemco Power, Leighton Welspun.
The Greywater team comprises experienced professionals, with over 108 years of combined industry experience in sewage and wastewater treatment plant.
For More Information : CLICK