!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Japanese PM Yoshihide Suga won support from the leaders of the G7 nation to host the Olympics in Tokyo this summer
Modi congratulates Naftali Bennett on becoming new Israeli PM
Excellency Naftali Bennett, congratulations on becoming the Prime Minister of Israel. As we celebrate 30 years of the upgradation of diplomatic relations next year, I look forward to meeting you and deepening the strategic partnership between our two countries: PM Narendra Modi
Sensex drops 58.19 pts to 52,416.57 in opening session; Nifty slips 39.80 pts to 15,759.55
Americans stand trial in Japan, accused in Ghosn’s escape
- Two Americans suspected of helping former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn flee Japan while he was out on bail go on trial Monday in Tokyo.
- Michael Taylor, a former Green Beret, and his son Peter Taylor are suspected in the Houdini-like operation where Ghosn hid in a box for music equipment that was loaded onto a private jet that flew him to Lebanon, via Turkey in December 2019.
Bihar: LJP MPs likely to remove Chirag Paswan as party leader in Lok Sabha
- The Lok Janshakti Party appears set for a split as five of its six Lok Sabha MPs are learnt to have joined hands to oust Chirag Paswan as their leader in the House by electing his uncle Pashupati Kumar Paras in his place.
- A source said the group of MPs has conveyed their decision to the Lok Sabha Speaker.
Petrol and diesel prices:
- Price of petrol & diesel in Delhi at Rs 96.4/litre & Rs 87.28/litre respectively
- In Bhopal, petrol at Rs 104.59/litre & diesel at Rs 95.91/litre
- In Ladakh, petrol at Rs 101.95/litre & diesel at Rs 93.90/litre
- In Mumbai petrol at Rs 102.58/litre & diesel at Rs 94.70/litre
Myanmar junta media accuse ethnic army of killing 25 workers
Myanmar’s junta-controlled media on Monday accused an ethnic armed group of killing 25 construction workers in the east of the country after abducting a group of 47 people last month.
Jaishankar interacts with Indian diaspora in Kenya
- Jaishankar arrived in Kenya on Saturday on a three-day visit to strengthen India’s relations with the major East African country.
- “A detailed exchange on regional and global issues as befitting two UNSC members. A historical solidarity is today a modern partnership,” Jaishankar had tweeted after the talks.
Germany, Australia sign hydrogen accord to boost lower-emissions technology
Economy Minister Peter Altmaier and Education and Research Minister Anja Karliczek signed a letter of intent to set up a “Germany Australia Hydrogen Accord” with Australian Energy and Emissions Reduction Minister Angus Taylor, the German Economy Ministry said in a statement.
Naftali Bennett sworn in as Israel’s new Prime Minister, ending Netanyahu’s 12-year rule
- Naftali Bennett was on Sunday sworn in as Israel’s new Prime Minister, ending Benjamin Netanyahu’s 12-year hold on power and the political uncertainty that gripped the Jewish nation for months after inconclusive elections.
- Bennett, the 49-year-old leader of the right-wing Yamina party, took oath of office after the Knesset (Parliament) elected him as the 13th Prime Minister of Israel by approved with a razor-thin majority of 60-59 in the 120-member house. One lawmaker abstained.
White House says NATO will launch ‘ambitious’ security initiatives
It said the 30 member countries would agree to revise NATO’s “Strategic Concept” to guide its “approach to the evolving strategic environment, which includes Russia’s aggressive policies and actions; challenges posed by the People’s Republic of China to our collective security, prosperity, and values; and transnational threats such as terrorism, cyber threats, and climate change.”
Tesla to accept bitcoin again when greener
Elon Musk, CEO of electric vehicle maker Tesla, said on Sunday that the US company will accept bitcoin payments again when the virtual currency is greener.
Orange alert in Karnataka till June 17
The entire Karnataka state is very likely to experience widespread rainfall till June 17. An orange alert (very heavy rainfall) has been put in place for coastal districts till June 17: CS Patil, Director, IMD Bengaluru