!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Four people dead, three injured after being hit by truck in Maharashtra’s Raigad district: Police
Delhi Environment Minister Gopal Rai directs the Delhi Pollution Control Committee to issues a penalty of Rs 40 lakhs to East Delhi Municipal Corporation over Ghazipur Landfill fire.
NIA conducted searches at 31 locations spread across 8 districts of Andhra Pradesh & 4 districts of Telangana yesterday in the case relating to furthering activities of proscribed organization CPI (Maoist) in Andhra Pradesh in the guise of frontal organizations: NIA
During searches, 40 mobile phones, 44 SIM cards, 70 storage devices, 184 CDs/DVDs, 19 Pen Drives, Tab, Audio Recorder, Rs 10 lakhs cash from an accused, sickles, axe, machetes besides CPI (Maoist) flags, as well as a huge number of incriminating documents were recovered: NIA
Woman weightlifter fails dope test, asked to return home from national camp
- A woman weightlifter, who was part of the ongoing national camp at the National Institute of Sports in Patiala, has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for banned substance.
- The weightlifter, a national record holder and who has participated in several international tournaments including the Commonwealth Championship where she won gold, was set to be a part of the Indian team for the Asian Championship to be held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan from April 16 to 25.
Stock markets start new fiscal on a high; Sensex reclaims 50,000-level
- Indian equities started the new fiscal year on a strong note on Thursday, with the BSE Sensex surging over 520 points to settle above the 50,000-level on across-the-board buying by participants amid positive global cues.
- At the closing bell, the 30-share BSE index quoted 520.68 points or 1.05 per cent higher at 50,029.83.
- Similarly, the broader NSE Nifty rose 176.65 points or 1.2 per cent to settle at 14,867.35.
Recovering well after bypass surgery: President Kovind
I’ve been recovering well after the bypass surgery, thanks to the amazing dedication of the doctors and caregivers.… https://t.co/PHT6FgR14Y
— President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) 1617263671000
Lt Gen Amardeep Singh Bhinder takes over as chief of South Western Command
CDS launches tri-services logistics node in Mumbai
- Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat on Thursday launched the Joint Logistics Node at the Western Naval Command in Mumbai which will cater for the requirements of all three services deployed in that region.
- The nodes are part of the steps towards integrating the three Services.
- It will provide logistical support to all three defence services and improve utilisation of resources, manpower and remove duplication.
Enforcement Directorate has filed Prosecution Complaint against Babulal Varma, Kamal Kishore Gupta, Sachin Joshi and others in the Yes Bank loan fraud case: ED
Seema Thakur, the only woman bus driver in Himachal Road Transport Corporation yesterday drove a bus on Shimla-Chandigarh route to become first HRTC woman driver to drive on an inter-state route.
She says, “It was a great experience. I’m proud that I got this opportunity.” (ANI reports)
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal chairs review meeting on the Clean Yamuna project along with Water Minister Satyendar Jain and Delhi Jal Board officials: Delhi Chief Minister’s Office
Niti Aayog suggests policy to ensure subsidised food supply
The scenarios, that have been constructed keeping in mind the National Food Security Act, 2013, have been made after the ministry had sought the advice of Niti Aayog amid increasing demand for subsidised foodgrains in certain states in view of rising population.
On the one hand, the Prime Minister talks about cooperative federalism and on the other hand the states are being made financially weak
– Ashok Gehlot, Chief Minister, Rajasthan
GST collections for March at Rs 1.23 lakh crore, all time high
Rajinikanth thanks GoI for conferring him Dadasaheb Phalke Award
My heartfelt thanks to the government of India, respected & dearest Narendra Modi, Prakash Javadekar & jury for conferring upon me the prestigious Dadasaheb Phalke Award. I sincerely dedicate it to all those who have been a part of my journey. Thanks to the almighty: Rajinikanth
Mahindra reports sale of 40,403 units in March
Highest ever freight loading
Despite COVID-19 challenges, Railways has registered the highest ever freight loading of 1232.64 MT (million tonne) in 2020-21 & grew by 23.32 MT (million tonne) over 2019-20: Ministry of Railways
Actress Kirron Kher diagnosed with multiple myeloma
— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPKher) 1617257982000
Delhi: Fire breaks out at some shops in Pitampura vegetable market.
Eight fire tenders are present at the spot. Details awaited.
J&K: BJP leader Anwar Khan’s residence attacked by terrorists in Nowgam, Srinagar
One sentry critically injured in the attack succumbs to his injuries, say police.
MHA has notified Tirap, Changlang & Longding Dists & 4 police stations-Namsai & Mahadevpur PS in Namsai district, Roing PS in Lower Dibang Valley district, Sunpura PS in Lohit district of Arunachal Pradesh, as ‘disturbed area’ under AFSPA for a further 6 months until Sept 30th.
Maruti Suzuki reports sale of 1,67,014 units in March
- The country’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) on Thursday reported total sales of 1,67,014 units in March.
- The company had sold 83,792 units in March last year amid nationwide lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Its domestic sales stood at 1,49,518 units last month. The auto major had reported sales of 76,976 units in March 2020.
J&K: House of BJP leader Anwar Khan attacked by terrorists in Nowgam, Srinagar.
Mastercard to invest $100 million in Airtel Africa’s mobile money unit
- Mastercard Inc will invest $100 million in Airtel Africa’s mobile money operations valuing the business at $2.65 billion, the London-listed company said on Thursday.
- Mastercard will hold a minority stake in Airtel Mobile Commerce, in line with Airtel Africa’s plan to monetise the mobile money business by selling up to a 25% stake in the unit, the company said.
Delhi’s Tiz Hazari Court to hear the bail plea of January 26 violence accused Deep Sidhu on April 8.
Arvind Sawant made Sena’s chief spokesperson along with Raut
- The Shiv Sena has appointed its Lok Sabha member Arvind Sawant as the party’s chief spokesperson, in an apparent bid to keep in check its other chief spokesperson Sanjay Raut.
- Sawant was earlier a spokesperson of the party. He was the Shiv Sena’s lone minister in the Narendra Modi-led central cabinet before he quit in 2019, after his party snapped ties with the BJP and joined hands with the NCP and Congress to form government in Maharashtra.
Four dead, 2 wounded, including suspect, in shooting near Los Angeles
- Four people were killed, one of them a child, in a shooting on Wednesday at an office building in suburban Los Angeles before the suspect, wounded in an exchange of gunfire with police, was taken into custody, police reported.
- The bloodshed in the city of Orange, about 30 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, marked the third deadly mass shooting in the United States in less than a month. Authorities offered no explanation as to a possible motive.
We’re going to make amendments to Gujarat Freedom of Religion Act, 2003. Today, we’re going to present a law before the state Assembly, that will stop people from luring Hindu girls into marriage with the intention of religious conversion.
– Pradipsinh Jadeja, Gujarat Home Minister
India’s annual electricity use down first time in at least 35 years
- India’s annual electricity use fell for the first time in at least 35 years during the fiscal year to end-March 2021, a Reuters analysis of government data showed, mainly due to intense lockdowns to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- India’s power generation fell 0.2% during the year 2020/21 compared with the previous year, the data showed, mainly due to the imposition of lockdowns that resulted in a decline in electricity production for six straight months ending in August.
- Demand for electricity has picked up since, however, and generation grew 23.3% in March from a year earlier, the seventh consecutive monthly increase and the fastest since March 2010.
It’s a matter of immense joy that Thalaiva has been conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke Award: PM Modi
Popular across generations, a body of work few can boast of, diverse roles and an endearing personality…that’s Rajinikanth for you. It’s a matter of immense joy that Thalaiva has been conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke Award. Congratulations to him: PM Narendra Modi
Osaka officials want Olympic torch relay to skip city over virus: Media
- The Olympic torch relay should skip Osaka where coronavirus cases are spiking, the region’s governor and the city’s mayor said Thursday, local media reported.
- Officials in Osaka would not immediately confirm the reported comments, which come as the government moves to impose new virus countermeasures in parts of Osaka and two other regions over rising infections.
Indonesia foreign visitor arrivals down 86.6%
Indonesia’s foreign visitor arrivals fell 86.59% on a yearly basis to around 117,000 in February, slowing slightly from a month earlier, as the coronavirus pandemic disrupts global travels, data from the statistics bureau showed on Thursday.
51st Dadasaheb Phalke Award will be conferred upon actor Rajinikanth, says Union Minister Prakash Javadekar.
HAL denies having business links with Myanmar’s military
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has denied having any business links with the military forces in Myanmar.
- The statement came after a UNHRC report on Myanmar and Stockholm International Peace and Research Institute Arms Transfers Database claimed that HAL supplied equipment to Myanmar’s military from 2017-19.
- “The report is factually incorrect. HAL has had no business dealings with Myanmar Defence Forces from 2017-2019. In fact, HAL did not have any business dealing even after 2019 with Myanmar till date,” said a spokesperson from HAL on Wednesday.
Indonesia March inflation at 7-month low of 1.37%
Indonesia’s annual inflation slowed a touch to 1.37%, the lowest rate since August and below expectation, data from the country’s statistics bureau showed on Thursday.
Police in Orange, California, south of Los Angeles, reported a shooting with “multiple victims at the scene including fatalities,” but said the situation has been “stabilized” with no further threat to the public: Reuters
Sensex rises 353.46 points, currently at 49,862.61. Nifty up by 101.10 points, currently at 14,791.80.
Uttarakhand: Devotees take holy dip at the Har Ki Pauri ghat in Haridwar as Kumbh Mela begins today
Uttarakhand: Devotees take holy dip at the Har Ki Pauri ghat in Haridwar as Kumbh Mela begins today https://t.co/3aDVv0EXlY
— ANI (@ANI) 1617246864000
India rolls back decision to cut interest rates on small savings
- Orders to cut rates to a more than four-decade low were issued due to oversight.
- “India shall continue to be at the rates which existed in the last quarter of 2020-2021, i.e., rates that prevailed as of March 2021,”
- “Orders issued by oversight shall be withdrawn,” she said.
I appeal to people to come out in large numbers to cast their vote as the whole country is looking at Nandigram. People are waiting to see if development or politics of appeasement will win here.
– Bharatiya Janata Party’s Nandigram candidate, Suvendu Adhikari
Interest rates of small savings schemes of GoI to continue at rates that existed in the last quarter of 2020-2021
Interest rates of small savings schemes of GoI shall continue to be at the rates which existed in the last quarter… https://t.co/CKQryM8yUN
— Nirmala Sitharaman (@nsitharaman) 1617243845000
Voting is underway, the situation is under control. People are hoping for development.
– BJP’s Nandigram candidate Suvendu Adhikari
A long queue of voters at a polling station in Hojai in the second phase of voting for Assam Assembly Polls
A long queue of voters at a polling station in Hojai in the second phase of voting for #AssamAssemblyPolls https://t.co/iQgl7JEb4Y
— ANI (@ANI) 1617242887000
Second phase of voting for Assembly elections in West Bengal and Assam begin
Voting for the second phase of Assam Assembly Polls to begin shortly
Voting for the second phase of #AssamAssemblyPolls to begin shortly Visuals from polling station 23-26 at Nowgong… https://t.co/cpLuV8HZBD
— ANI (@ANI) 1617238955000
West Bengal: Preparations underway at polling station 76 in Nandigram constituency, ahead of voting for the second phase.
March this year warmest in Delhi since 2010
The month of March in 2021 was the warmest in the last 11 years, informed an official from India Meteorological Department (IMD).
Microsoft wins $22 billion deal making headsets for US Army
- Microsoft will supply U.S. Army combat troops with its augmented reality headsets.
- Microsoft and the Army separately announced the deal Wednesday.
- It is the technology is based on Microsoft’s HoloLens headsets, which were originally intended for the video game and entertainment industries.
John Kerry to travel to India, Bangladesh & UAE
Special Presidential Envoy for Climate John Kerry will travel to Abu Dhabi, New Delhi and Dhaka from April 1-9 to discuss the climate crisis, the State Department has announced.
Australian securities regulator bans sale of binary options to retail clients
Hong Kong does not warrant special US status as China dismantling its freedom
– Biden administration